August 7, 2002
As you may may recall, Surfnetkids used to send two mailings
a week — but a year ago we cut down to once a week because
most of our sponsors had reduced their budgets.
Now we’ve been contacted by some sponsors who want to
reach you with their offers directly. I explained that
Surfnetkids NEVER reveals readers’ email addresses
(your privacy is extremely important to us) so renting
the Surfnetkids list IS OUT OF THE QUESTION.
But I did come up with a compromise solution. In order to
both meet our increasing costs and accomodate these new
sponsors, from time to time (perhaps once or twice a month)
Surfnetkids will publish an EXTRA Edition that contains a
single offer from a single sponsor. These occassional EXTRA
Editions will always come directly from us, and will only
contain offers I believe you will appreciate. I look forward
to your feedback.
Today’s E.B. White topic is accompanied by the following game:
Today’s newsletter is made possible by:
- Summer Reading Success Get a CD-ROM World Book Encyclopedia, a $69.95 value, with purchase of Hooked on Phonics! Easy for parents, fun for children, and recommended by educators. Discover why over 2 million families have purchased Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
- Just for DVD Owners Rent DVD movies online and have them mailed to your home with Netflix.com. I love renting DVDs from Netflix.com because I can rent as many DVDs as I want each and every month for one low monthly fee. Try it yourself and see! Here’s a NetFlix.com trial courtesy of Surfnetkids.com:
See ya on the Net,
Barbara J. Feldman
“Surfing the Net with Kids”
P.S. This week Printables Club Members also:
1) learn about two no-cost resources for researching your family ancestry
2) learn about a great Berlin Wall site, recommended by an Australian
3) learn about building an online income stream
4) get a two-page Internet enrichment printable of today’s topic
Click here to Become a Printables
The summer release of Stuart Little 2 prompted me to see what I could find online about
award-winning author E.B. White. In the world of children’s literature, his claims to fame are the
three beloved classics Stuart Little, Charlotte’s Web and The Trumpet of the Swan. He also co-
authored my favorite guide to the writer’s craft, Elements of Style.
Education: Charlotte’s Web
Whether you’re reading Charlotte’s Web with your class or on your own, you’ll have fun
with this collection of two quizzes, one word search, and two related art activities (including a
paper maché piggy bank built around a balloon.) Don’t miss the letter from E.B. White, in which
he answers questions frequently asked by children, and the text of the entire first chapter. For
links to even more Charlotte’s Web vocabulary and math pages, click on Online Fun, listed under
E.B. White wrote books for children and adults, as well as writing essays and drawing
sketches for The New Yorker magazine. “Funnily enough for such a famous writer, he always said
that he found writing difficult and bad for one’s disposition, but he kept at it!” Exactly how did
E.B. White come up with the ideas for Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web? Scroll down to Stories
Behind the Books.
The New York
Times: Life & Times of E.B. White
“All that I ever hope to say in books is that I love the world. I guess you can find that in
there, if you dig around. Animals are part of my world and I try to report them faithfully and with
respect.” Readers of all ages will enjoy the five-minute audio clips of readings from Charlotte’s
Web, The Trumpet of the Swan and Stuart Little, while teens and adults will enjoy the collection
of New York Times’ articles by and about E.B. White.
Pocantico Hills School:
Each year, Mrs. Taverna’s second-grade class reads Charlotte’s Web, and each year (since
1998) the students then add a little something to their Pocantico Hills School Charlotte’s Web
site. Highlights include the ABCs of Charlotte’s Web (A is for Avery, B is for Barn), Chapter
Summaries, The Mystery Quotes Quiz, Charlotte’s Web Trivia Crossword Puzzles, and a big
section on Spiders.
Stuart Little 2
The official movie site for Stuart Little 2 gives you a choice of two entrances: Enhanced or
Standard. While I usually choose Enhanced because of the speed of my Internet connection, I
found the Standard interface less confusing and a more direct path to the fun stuff I wanted. And
which stuff was that? Games (for seven games that you can play online or download to your PC
or Mac) and Cool Stuff (for e-cards and computer wallpaper.)
Copyright © 2002 Barbara J.
are currently subscribed as
- You can unsubscribe by sending an email.
- Subscribe to this free HTML newsletter via
- Existing subscribers can change their email address here.
- More on the two versions of this list is found