One of the benefits of carving pumpkins is the tasty little nuggets you can find inside-the pumpkin seeds! Dried and roasted these wonderful seeds can become a tasty snack alone or can be added to a variety of recipes for a unique and delicious flavor. Roasted pumpkin seeds have a nutty flavor and best of all are packed with protein and fiber. Pumpkin seeds are delicious toasted and salted, but many people feel that they are even better flavored with sweet and savory spices. Here are the simple instructions on how to roast pumpkin seeds and some delicious ways on how to use them-
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds:
1. Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold water and pick out the pulp and strings. (Keep in mind that this is easiest just after you have removed the seeds from the pumpkin and before the pulp has dried.)
2. Place all of the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet, stirring to coat. If you prefer, you can omit the oil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds lightly with salt and bake at 325 degrees until toasted. This should take about 25 minutes but you should be checking and stirring after 10 minutes.
4. Let cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Best Bacon-less Broccoli Salad-This is a memorable salad that highlights the flavor of the roasted pumpkin seeds.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Recipe completed in: 45 Min
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Directions for the recipe: Start by making the salad by tossing together the broccoli, onion, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds in a large bowl. To make the dressing whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and white sugar; pour over the salad. Toss to evenly coat. Chill at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans before serving.
Cinnasweet Pumpkin Seeds-This is a sweet twist on the usual roasted pumpkin seeds.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 1 Hr
Recipe completed in: 1 Hr 10 Min
- 4 cups pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar, divided
Directions for the recipe: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the pumpkin seeds, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl; stir to thoroughly coat the seeds. Spread the seeds in a single layer in a jelly roll pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes; stir all of the seeds and return to oven for 15 minutes more; remove from oven and sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the seeds; stir to coat. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes before removing again to sprinkle with remaining sugar and stirring. Bake another 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving. Be sure to store leftover seeds in an airtight container.
Maryland Pumpkin Seeds-These savory pumpkin seeds will easily become a family favorite.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 30 Min
Recipe completed in: 40 Min
- 4 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup seafood seasoning,
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions for the recipe: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Rinse pumpkin seeds thoroughly in a colander. Spread out on paper towels and gently pat dry. The next step is to coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the pumpkin seeds out in a single layer. Then spray the tops of the seeds with an additional light layer of cooking spray. Sprinkle the seafood seasoning evenly over the tops. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until dry and toasted. Cool for a few minutes before serving.