Kids love crafts, and what better way to keep the kids entertained over the summer than with a few craft projects? With the 4th of July around the corner, there are many safe, fun 4th of July crafts you can do with kids to keep them entertained and be creative at the same time.
This easy craft to make uses Popsicle sticks to form a patriotic flag.
• Craft sticks
• Star shapes made from wood (these can be purchased inexpensively from a craft store)
• Red, white and blue paints
• Magnet backing or strips
1. Paint six of the craft sticks red. Paint three of the craft sticks and the stars white, and then paint two of the craft sticks blue. Allow them to dry.
2. The following step the parent or teacher should do — With wire cutters or side cutters, cut two red craft sticks into 2-1/2″ lengths and cut 1-1/2″ from rounded ends of each blue craft stick. You will end up with four pieces.
3. On a flat surface, alternately position four red and three white craft sticks side-by-side to resemble the flag’s stripes. To hold the stripes together, glue red craft stick pieces across the edges of the craft stick stripes. Let each one dry thoroughly.
4. Next, glue blue craft stick pieces on upper right hand corner of flag, aligning cut edges of craft sticks with edge of flag. This will resemble the blue portion of the flag.
5. Glue the stars to flag and let them dry.
6. When the project has thoroughly dried, place magnet backing on the back.