Facebook allows users to create groups relating to just about any subject. They are a great way to help you express your interests, connect with people with similar interests and get updates on items, causes or activities of interest to you. If you want to join a Facebook group, joining one is simple. The following is an overview of how to join a Facebook group:
1. Decide what type of group you want to join. There are thousands of groups on Facebook, everything from specific couples’ weddings to groups geared toward stay at home moms. Think about which groups you would have an interest in joining. You might consider groups that would provide you with information or updates you want or activities that might be fun.
2. Once you know what kind of group you’d like to join, it’s time to look for said groups. Go to the upper right hand corner of your Facebook page and look for the search bar and type in the key words of the type of group you are interested in, “salsa dancing”, for example.
3. You can also search for a group by clicking the “group” icon on the bottom left hand side of your screen. Then click on “Browse groups” and type in a key word for the groups you might be interested in joining.
4. Browse the group pages and take a look at what they have to offer. While you can look at most groups without joining them, some groups are private, so won’t be able to access their information without first joining the group, or receiving an invitation. Determine which groups you would benefit from if you joined them. If you know you want to join a fan group for a specific sport, either accept the invitation sent to join or search for it, and click the link that allows you to join it. When browsing groups look at the group’s size, how often they post news, what kind of interactions are allowed and so forth.
5. Click on the “Join this Group” text. It will ask you to confirm that you want to join the group, and once you do, you are a part of it.
If you want to join a private group, your best option is to contact the administrator of the group, and request that they allow you to join. Most keep their groups private in order to avoid spammers and trolls, but if you request to join, there is a good chance they will allow it. The worst case scenario is rejection for whatever reason. Most groups are open to all users, however, so find one you want to join and do it!