: This is another really fun craft for older and younger kids to make. Because there are several different ways to make dream catchers, they make great crafts for all ages. It’s also really fun to tell children the symbolism behind the dream catcher. In short, they are meant to catch the bad dreams in their web and trap them while only letting the good dreams through. Here are some instructions on how to make a dream catcher:
• Suede cord about 18mm wide
• Was cord
• Metal ring
• Pony beads (9mm)
• Crafting feathers and craft glue
• Clothes pins
• Begin by wrapping the suede cord around the metal hoop a few times. You can use some glue to keep the cord in place and place your clothes pin on at the beginning of your cord to keep it from sliding. Let dry.
• Using the wax cord, tie a knot at the end and attach it to the metal ring. Loop the wax string over the top and back thru.
• Continue looping the wax string around the metal hoop until you reach the point where you first started, keeping it about half an inch away from your starting loop.
• Loop the wax cord in between the first knot and the second knot you have made on your metal ring. Repeat this process of knotting until you have wound your wax cord completely throughout the metal ring.
• Use some of your sued cord to tie at the top of the metal ring. This will be hanger for your dream catcher.
• Then tie two or three pieces of suede cord to the bottom of the metal ring. Place two pony beads on each strand of cord.
• Place some craft glue underneath the beads where you want your feather to hang from. Choose your feathers and glue them just below the beads. Allow the glue to dry and you have your dream catcher.
These are just a couple of ideas for making Native American crafts and some simple instructions on how to make them. Good luck and have fun.
Leave a Reply