There are many activities that can be done with children though many don’t result in a permanent treasure. Apple crafts are not only fun and pretty but functional as well. Here are some apple crafts that you can do with children.
Apple Pin, Necklace or Magnet
* Materials Needed:
- Paper and printer
- Styrofoam trays or cardboard
- Acrylic paint, poster paint or markers – red, green, brown, black and cream
- Pin backings, magnet backings or hole punch and string
- Either go online and find a printable apple pattern or create your own, as they are not difficult to draw.
- Trace your apple pattern onto the cardboard or Styrofoam.
- Cut out the apple using a pair of scissors, keeping in mind that if you are allowing the kids to cut out their apple patterns you might want to use thinner cardboard, rather than Styrofoam, so they can use child scissors to make the cuts.
- Paint the entire apple red and allow it to dry.
- Using a cotton ball or a stubby paintbrush, dab cream-colored paint over the red paint. The cream does not need to have to color the red paint perfectly.
- Now you want to paint the stem brown and add a green leaf.
- Allow the paint to dry before moving on to the next step.
- Using a cotton swab or a small paint brush, paint on the two eyes and nose of the apple to make apple seeds; a dab of paint will do.
- Once the apple is dry, draw on a mouth and eyebrows with a black marker.
- Now add the magnet or pin backing to the back of the apple or punch a hole in the top of the apple and tie a string through the hole to wear it as a necklace.
- If you are using Styrofoam and poster paint or markers, glue paper onto the Styrofoam to cover it or pre-paint it with white acrylic paint, lest the poster paint or marker actually flake or rub off the Styrofoam.
- If you are using markers instead of paint, cover the red part last because you can not cover the red with other colors.
- If you are doing this craft with a group of children, it might be faster to cut the apples ahead of time depending on the age of the children.
- This project can actually turn into three different crafts or you can give your children a choice on which project they are going to make.