Origami, a hobby that almost anyone can do, is a fun and easy way to create new and exciting three-dimensional figures using square pieces of paper. As long as you can follow instructions and have the patience to learn the folding techniques and the time that it might take to make the shape that you want, you have the makings of an origami master.
Instructions for the Project:
The origami crane is one of the most popular characters people create with origami paper. While origami cranes look very impressive, they are actually one of the first things that many beginner origami folders learn how to make. Below you will find easy step-by-step instructions for how to make an origami crane.
Steps to make an origami crane
1. Select the origami paper color and pattern of your choice, remembering that you must always start with paper that is perfectly square. Origami paper is slightly thinner and often has a pattern printed on both sides to make the folding process easier and to make the lines of the end product cleaner.
2. Fold the square once to make a triangle and then once more to make another triangle. Note: The paper should now be Â¼ of its original size.
3. Lift up the paper at the point of the triangle to make a new square.
4. Fold the sides of this point down. Note: You should be left with a shape that looks like a square with one small triangle crease at the top.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the other point of the triangle that you made in step 2. Note: You should end up with a square shaped paper when you are done.
6. Looking at your square like a diamond, make a fold in the paper at the top corner of your triangle fold, where it is attached to the rest of the shape.
7. Using the fold line that you made in step 6 as a guide, lift up that same triangle flap of your square but this time fold the sides of the triangle towards the middle. You should end up with a kite shape in the center of your paper after making these folds.
8. Repeat step 7 on the other side of the paper so that you end up with a tall diamond or perfect kite shape.
9. Fold over both sides of your kite shape so that you create a skinnier kite shape.
10. Fold up the bottom tabs outward and to the sides to make a crown shape.
11. From your crown shape, make a head by pushing one of the pointy ends of your crown inside out while folding it down.
12. Fold both wings down to create the crane’s outstretched wings.
13. When finished, you should be able to pull the tail up and down and have the crane’s wings flap.
For some who learn better with more visual instructions, you can go online and watch one of the many instructional videos on how to make an origami crane so that you can watch the instructor while following these written instructions. There are also a number of books and online articles with illustrations that may provide a different, helpful perspective about how an origami crane is made. As with most origami shapes, although you will likely find slight variations in how the origami paper crane is made, because the origami crane is one of the most basic origami creations, it is unlikely that instructions will be overly unique, making the process streamlined and less confusing for beginning origami folders.