Here are some great craft ideas for kids who are in elementary school. But like with other crafts these can be done with kids who are older and even younger. If the kids are younger they might require more adult help.
• Butterfly Life Cycle Mobile
Numerous colors of construction paper, oak tag, or even gift wrap
Yarn or string
Sturdy paper plate
Markers, crayons, or paint
Stapler or tape
- Draw a spiral on a paper plate
- Cut along the line that you drew on the paper plate
- Decorate the paper plate using markers, crayons or paint
- Use green construction paper and draw a leaf and cut it out
- Then draw tiny butterfly eggs onto the leaf or use tiny paper circles that you glue on the leaf.
- The cluster of butterfly eggs is usually laid on the underside of a leaf. The eggs are white or yellow or greenish and are either circular or oval
- Draw and cut out a caterpillar from whatever color construction paper you choose and then decorate it
- Draw and cut out a pupa, which is when the caterpillar makes a protective case around itself and turns into a butterfly
- Make the butterfly wings by folding a small piece of paper in half and drawing half a butterfly along the folded line
- Cut out the butter fly wings
- Make a body for the butterfly using dark paper, the body is basically a long oval with a round head
- Glue the body to the wings and decorate your butterfly
- Staple or tape the stages in the butterfly’s life cycle to string, each piece gets its own piece of string
- Then staple or tape them to the spiral paper plate
- Attach another short length of string to the plat so that you can hang up the mobile.