Crochet has risen to a new height in popularity. Today crochet has crossed from being just a cute craft over into mainstream fashion. Even the top couture designers have been found incorporating crochet into their fashions. But even if you do not feel that your crochet is up to high fashion standards there are still plenty of items that you can make using crochet. There is literally no end to the type and number of items that you can make using crochet. You can make items to wear, decorate your home or office or even use to entertain your child. Here is a breakdown of the things you can make with crochet-
- Traditional crochet items-When one thinks of crochet they often think of making shawls, afghans and scarves. These items are still highly popular today and best of all provide a good starting place for those learning to crochet. They tend to be basic shapes that can have basic or more complicated stitches. They can be made in a variety of colors and styles and allow the beginning crafter to learn the basic building blocks of crochet before moving on. Best of all you can make these items for a yourself to cozy up in or they make great gifts.
- Home decor items-Crochet can also be used to make several different items that can be used in home decor. Table runners, throws for over couches and chairs and even seat covers can be made from crochet. While grannies may have turned to crochet for decorating their bathrooms or parlors today crochet home decor items can possess a sweet but sophisticated charm. Dish covers, candle holders and even placemats can be made from crochet. Just a quick search online can give dozens of items that would work well in home decor.
- Novelty items-Those who have moved on to more advanced crochet can make many of the novelty items. Scarves that look like smores, hats that look like animals and even slippers that look like vehicles are all crochet patterns that are available online. Basically if you can dream it there is probably a crochet pattern somewhere online for it.
- Fashion item-Today crochet is showing up not just in sweaters, but also dresses, vests, camis and jackets. You can find crochet inlay that is worked on or over fabric. Today’s fashions are even combining crochet, quilting and regular sewing all in one clothing item. While hats and other accessories will always be popular in crochet if you are looking to stretch your creative muscles why not take on a crochet dress, swimsuit cover-up or child’s ensemble?
- Toys and other fun items-You can use your crochet skills to make toys for the young children in your life. There are patterns for animals (check out a traditional yellow rubber ducky online) cars and even tool belts for those want to be builders. You can make small aprons to go with kitchens or a construction vest to go with trucks. Chances are if a child in your life is looking for a particular toy or accessory there is probably a pattern online to make it. Crochet can also make some of the softest animals, rattles and other squishy toys for infants. These work especially well for little hands that need the softest texture in their toys.
- Holiday and other decorative items-If you are looking for a unique holiday gift you may want to consider making crochet stockings for those nearest and dearest to you. The patterns are endless and can be quite darling when finished. You can personalize each stocking by adding the name of the gift recipient on the outside so that Santa knows what to put in each one!