Crochet has become one of the hottest crafts today. Everyone from celebrities to regular Joe’s and Jane’s are doing crochet. While some people still have the delusion that crochet is strictly old school the truth is that it has never been more popular then it is today. While you may think that only your grandmother and her contemporaries are into crochet surveys show that people of all ages and both sexes are crocheting. This trend seems set to continue so if you are looking for a new hobby crochet just might be for you. Here are some of the reasons why you should learn to crochet-
- It is very easy to learn. Since crochet is comprised of several basic stitches once you are able to learn these you are well on your way to being able to do several different types of projects. Being able to crochet also does not require extensive experience or a high level of crafting skills in order to master it making it a perfect choice for young kids or even those who deem themselves craft-disabled.
- It requires only a few basic pieces of equipment. The equipment you need is both simple and affordable. There is not a huge output of cash needed in order to get started with crochet you can begin crocheting with just a few basic needles (or even one) and a skein of yarn. Crochet needles are also very affordable and easy to find at most craft stores. If you want to go for vintage you should check out garage and estate sales where you may find crochet needles that are not even made anymore. The yarn you will need also is quite affordable and comes in a variety of colors, sizes and types. Craft stores generally carry a wider selection than most crafters can even crochet their way through. Because the materials are so cost effective this makes crocheting a much more affordable hobby to take up then many other crafts.
- It is a community craft. Crochet help is available everywhere. From online sites that offer free patterns and helpful suggestions from other crafters to magazines and books that are solely devoted to the art of crochet. You can take classes at your local craft store or community center or ask a relative or friend to show you what you need to know.
- It can go anywhere. You can crochet pretty much anywhere you are. Avid crafters will often tuck their latest project in a purse or bag and when they find themselves with a few minutes will whip out their latest crochet project and work on it. This is easy since crochet is virtually mess free and can be easily transported. You can practice your crochet while in transit somewhere, waiting in the doctor’s office or anywhere else where you find yourself with even a few minutes. This also works well since crochet does not require a large space (like scrap booking, painting or jewelry making) it has become the craft of choice for many beginning crafters who want something fun to do without having to dedicate studio space to their craft.
- It can be used to make virtually anything. There really is no end to the type of crochet project you can make. Crochet has come a long way from only being used for afghans, throws or scarves. Crochet can be used in numerous ways to make home decor, clothing and even toys. In addition while crocheting alone can create some beautiful projects it can also be used in conjunction with other crafts such as: beading, sewing and even painting.