Native American crafts can be found all over the world. Their culture is rich with tradition and symbolism and making crafts that represent their culture can not only be a learning experience but also fun. Finding ideas and figuring out where to find the best Native American crafts can be frustrating though, so here are some ideas on where to find crafts for you and your kids and some fun ideas.
Finding Native American craft ideas
There are several places you can go to if you’re looking to make some Native American crafts. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
• The Internet: This probably the best resource for finding anything today if you have access to a computer with the internet. You can put in a search for just about anything and it will bring up literally thousands of web pages for you to go to and check out. You’re bound to find something you like.
• Craft stores: This is another great resource to use. If you have a local craft store in town take a trip down and see what you can find in the magazines, books, or catalogs. They may even have some ideas on display that you can use.
• Cultural groups/ friends: You may not know about a group of people that meet together, but in almost every city or town there is at least a couple of people that know a little bit more about a culture than you do. You could always do some research to find out what groups are in the area, or just ask some friends.
Ideas for Native American crafts
It may surprise you at how many different types of Native American crafts are actually out there for you to do on your own, or to do with your child. There are really hundreds of them. So don’t feel like you have to come up with your own creative ideas when the task has already been done. Here are some ideas for Native American crafts:
• Dream catchers are a hit among any aged child and adult. The reason why they’re so popular is because there are different types of dream catchers you can make. They can be very simple so that young kids can make them, or they can be more complex for older children and adults to try. Either way you decide to make them, they’re a lot of fun to make. They’re also fun because of the symbolism behind it. Every child is afraid of bad dreams; dream catchers were made to catch the bad dreams in the web and only let the good ones in. Every kid will make it after they hear that story.
• Native American headdresses are another fun craft to make. Again these are very versatile because you can make them from real materials if you’re going for an authentic piece, or you can make them from paper with your kids at home.
• Mini Totem poles can be a lot of fun for the kids and cheap for parents. All you need for this craft are some toilet paper rolls. So if you want to make some mini totem poles then start saving the old toilet paper rolls. Glue or tape the toilet paper rolls together (as many as you want), paint them any way you want, and then you’re done. Kids can really get creative with these.
So now you have no excuses on where to look for native American crafts and you also have a few ideas to get you started. Good luck and have fun.