There is no reason to be stuck in a rut when teaching your young child their ABC’s. Not only does using creative ways mean there is a lot more fun involved for you but studies show that kids learn better when doing something when learning. While hours of rote memorization of the alphabet may eventually get the job done why not use some creative ways to help your child learn their ABC’s? This way you can have some fun together while your child is learning the basic building blocks of reading. Here are some creative ways to teach ABC’s-
- Write Letters in Whipped Cream-Younger children especially learn better when having a tactile experience to reinforce the concept. This is an easy (though messy) way to teach the alphabet. Just grab some wax paper (or even a dark colored plate will do), and some whipped cream in a can and start writing letters! If your child is younger they may want to use the whipping cream like finger paint to make letters. If the child is a little older you can encourage him to try to make letters as well with the whipped cream. Perhaps add some strawberries to help eat the cream up would be fun as a dessert!
- Cut Letters Out with play-dough-This is also a great tactile experience for kids. Another idea for cookie cutters is to use them to mold play-dough into alphabet shapes. Store bought play-dough works great or you can make your own. There are many fun recipes online such as Jell-O Play dough, Kool-Aid Play dough, Peanut Butter Play dough, Chocolate Scented Play dough, and Frosting Play dough. Just choose one that will help keep your little one interested in learning letters while playing.
- Serve your child Alphabet Pasta-This is a good meal with an educational twist. Serve your child alphabet pasta and then have some fun identifying the letters that pop up on their plate. After making sure that your child does eat (after all nutrition counts!) then you can use the leftover pasta for some after-dinner play with your food fun! Let them sort and separate letters on a plate or bowl for a fun way to learn the alphabet. Alphabet pasta is available online and at many larger grocery stores.
- Play with Flashcards-It is important not to overlook the obvious. There are many fun flashcards available that have pictures of objects that start with letters, along with the letter. This will help increase your child’s vocabulary, as well as help him or her master the alphabet. Flashcards can be found at many discount or craft stores or can be ordered online. You can also create your own flashcards by purchasing some note cards and glue photos (or cut pictures from magazines) on the cards, and write the first letter of the word.
- Provide toys that teach the ABC’s-There are lots of toys on the market that are available that have an ABC theme. Playing with these toys will not only be amusing to your child, the increased exposure to the letters of the alphabet will help him or her learn the letters. A few toys to consider are: alphabet drum, alphabet train, alphabet discovery ball, and alphabet puzzle. You can also use a doodle pro (or even a dry erase board will do) to write letters and teach your child the names of the letters.
- Read books-There are so many creative children’s books on the market and some of the best are alphabet themed. Clever stories are paired with beautiful drawings to entice your child to learn the alphabet.
Leave a Reply