What you will need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- several strips of white paper
- red tempera paint, also known as poster paint
- green felt or green construction paper
Instructions for the project:
- First thing that you need to do is to mix together the water and the flour to form the paste. If the paste is too runny you are going to need to add a little bit more flour and if it is too thick you will need to add a little bit of water. A good thing to do is to add a teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Next you are going to need to blow up the balloon, you can blow it up as big or as small as you want depending on how many pencils you want to hold.
- Next run the strips of white paper through the paste and apply them to the balloon. You are going to apply them to the balloon by layering them over the balloon and each other.
- You want to layer the papers on top of each other until you have about 2 to 4 layers of paper mache. But when layering the balloon you want to leave about a 2 inch hole in diameter for the pens and pencils to go through, you can make this hole bigger or smaller depending on the size of the balloon and how many pencils or pens you want to be able to hold.
- Next you are going to want to allow the paper mache to dry for at least 24 hours.
- After the 24 hours is up you want to take a pin and poke the balloon with the pin so that you pop the balloon.
- Using a damp cloth you are going to want to readjust the hole to make sure that it is the correct size.
- You are also going to want to readjust the bottom of the apple so that it sits flat. You can do this while the paper mache is still damp or you can place the apple on a damp cloth and gently push down for five minutes so that it is flat on the bottom.
- Next you are going to decorate the apple for the finishing touch. Paint the apple red with poster paint and add green leaves either with the felt or the construction paper.