From picture frames to large pieces of furniture, the possibilities for creating decor wood crafts are endless. When it comes to decorating your home, wood is probably one or the most versatile natural resources around. That’s why when you think about creating some fascinating home decor projects, wood is the most widely used resource today. It’s important however, to understand some of the properties of wood before you go out and just start making something. With so many different kinds of wood, they all react differently to heat, bending, etc. So different woods will be better for different decor wood crafts.
Properties of Wood
Before you go out and start building with wood, you need to understand the important properties of wood in order to use the right wood for the right project.
• Strength: One of the most important things to know about wood before you start using it in home decor creations is how strong or weak it is. If you’re making a piece of furniture, or any type of home decor project, you don’t want to use a type of wood that will split apart or break the first time you use it, or worse, sit on it. You need to do some research on which woods are the strongest and which ones are not. For example, woods such as Oak, Maple, Mahogany, Cherry, Walnut, and Rosewood are all hardwoods and are known for their strength. Oak is the most widely used hardwood and is used to craft many American and English designs.
• Chemical Resistance: Most woods are resistant to chemicals which is why it is so widely used in building, however some will resist chemicals better than others. Some woods are more resistant to liquid spills than others as well so when you’re shopping for wood to use for your project you need to consider what will be on it. You will want a different type of wood for a counter top than you would a piece of living room furniture.
• Resistance to decay. All woods will naturally show different resistance to decay than others. Creating decor wood crafts means that you need to consider where your wood craft will be spending most of its life. If you’re building something that will sit outside for the majority of its time then you need to choose a wood that is very resistance to decay as it will probably get water and other things on it. You will also want to make sure that it is treated properly for the weather conditions in your area.
Creating Decor Wood Crafts
Now that you have an idea of what types of properties to look for in the wood you work with, you can start to plan your project. There are so many different decor wood crafts out there today, that it won’t be too hard to come up with something you’ve seen and liked. Here are some ideas to get you thinking:
• Furniture is probably one of the coolest things you can do with wood in your home. Some individuals have made some magnificent pieces of furniture just by using wood. Making furniture however is not a beginner project. It requires time, patience, and experience. Start out with some small pieces and work your way up.
• Wood signs are another popular choice when it comes to home decor and wood. You can carve your piece of wood, paint it, and then print on it or put pictures on it. The popular thing today is to use vinyl lettering on it and hang it up in your home.
• Yard projects are another way to use wood. You can create decks, benches, garden decor, and much more.
Creating decor wood crafts can really be a lot of fun. Just remember if you’re a beginner to start out with some small crafts and work your way up. Be patient and you might be surprised at what you create.